Dr. Sarah Schirmer, DNP, M. Ed., APRN, PMHNP-BC
Board Certified Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Dr. Sarah Schirmer has over 10 years of experience in mental health care. She began her career as a licensed professional clinical counselor working with children and families after completing a master’s degree in counseling psychology from the University of Louisville in 2006. She graduated the accelerated, second-degree bachelor of science in nursing program at Eastern Kentucky University in 2010 and went on to earn her doctorate of nursing practice degree in the psychiatric-mental health track at the University of Kentucky in 2015.
Dr. Schirmer, DNP is board certified by the ANCC to provide psychiatric mental-health treatment across the lifespan. She is licensed in Kentucky and has worked in both private practice and community mental health settings. She is also an Assistant Professor in the School of Nursing at the University of Louisville.
She has extensive experience treating a wide variety of psychiatric conditions. In addition to patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), she has experience with the treatment of conditions that can co-occur with OCD such as generalized anxiety, health and medication anxiety, trichotillomania, eating disorders, depression, ADHD, PTSD, bipolar illness, and substance use disorders. She offers various treatment modalities such as medication management, genetic testing, and evidence-based therapy. She works collaboratively with patients and families as well as other treatment providers.
University of Kentucky, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse/Nursing
Eastern Kentucky University, B.S., Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse
University of Louisville, Master of Education (M.Ed.), Counseling Psychology
Roanoke College, B.S., Psychology and Biology
- Recovery Works, Indiana’s Forensics Treatment Program: Treatment Provider, May 2016–present
- American Nurses Credentialing Center: Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, May 2015–present
- American Red Cross: Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED, 2010–present
- Schirmer, S. (2015). Improving Depression Care for Older Home Health Patients. https://uknowledge.uky.edu/dnp_etds/44/
- Schirmer, S. (2014). Holistic Care at Home. MD Update, 4(82), p. 23.
- Schirmer, S. (2013, May 19). [Letter to the editor]. Lexington Herald-Leader, p. E3.